1.31.2011

Day 29

Calories burned at the gym today: 577


Weigh in day! For those of you who made it to the end of yesterday's short novel of a post, you were rewarded with my happy news a day early.

20 pounds!!!

That's right, I've knocked out 1/5th of my goal within the first month! It is going to get progressively harder to lose weight as I get more and more fit, so I'm enjoying this now, but trying to keep a realistic view on everything. I'd love to say that I'll be reaching my goal by summer, but it will more likely be around Halloween, or so. But this is a great jump start on things!

So, I wasn't really feeling it this morning. I had to drag myself out of bed and to the gym. I also took some pictures, but after much debate, I've decided to post them later. Because I will be more proud of these ones later, because they will represent where I was, not where I am. I decided to be bold and wear a Downeast shirt. They hide nothing. However, now that I'm looking at the pictures, I just can't bring myself to post them right now. But, I will at some point. Feel free to hold me to that.

So, inspiring me to be athletic can be very dangerous for my health. Let me share a story that I believe demonstrates my point perfectly.

It all began when I was 16. I was watching the 2004 Olympics in Athens on tv. I had been watching the events intently for days. I particularly enjoyed gymnastics and track events. I watched as person after person threw themselves around in ways that I'd never even considered. It is also worth mentioning that this was at the height of my Buffy days. Finally, one night, after some particularly inspiring events, I was feeling energized. I believed that since I was a relatively healthy teenager, I was capable of everything I had been watching, I just had to try. It was with thoughts such as this, that I stopped in the doorway to my room and stared at my bunk bed. Since I've always been paranoid of falling off of the top, it had a nice railing on the side. Suddenly, I had a vision of myself taking a few running steps, leaping vertical and sideways while grabbing the railing and flinging myself onto the top bunk.Wild eyed, I decided to act on this dream. I took a couple long running steps forward and then leaped off of the ground. I grabbed the railing in mid-air and quickly rotated my body sideways as I flew up. I couldn't believe it! I was doing it! If I could do this, I could do anything!!!! I was the master of my young fate. Doors that I never knew existed were opening to me in one beautiful instant!


And then it happened.

I felt my foot connect with something that was not my mattress. I heard the sound of millions of tiny bells ringing in a clamorous symphony of terror. At the same moment, the room became dimmer. Startled, the railing left my grasp. I caught two quick frantic finger-fulls of bedding before I began my descent. This is where I caught back up to real time. I came down fast and hard, landing on my upper back. There was a throbbing pain there to match one in my foot and a few other stinging sensations that I hadn't identified yet. I was still trying to figure out what the noise has been. Staring up, I began to piece together what had just happened. I had managed to kick the glass cover of my ceiling light clear off. It had landed safely in the carpet off to the side, unbroken. The same could not be said for two of the three light bulbs. They had completely shattered. I was lying on top of and under thousands of glass shards. I only had a couple noticeable cuts from that, but I felt the invisible microscopic ones for long after. I delicately made my way out of my room and then returned to shamefully clean up the hazmat, that was a physical representation of my athleticism.




So, while being healthier is definitely an attainable goal for me, I'm thinking I might still steer clear of any inspiration to become a true athlete. I'll leave that to Buffy and the Olympians.

No comments:

Post a Comment