1.20.2011

Day 18

Alright, so I think I'm fairly certain there is currently a courageous battle occurring inside of me between my immune system and a fierce cold. I also believe that right now the good guys are losing. They have been fighting hard and fending it off for a week now, but I'm getting more tired and my throat is getting scratchy. Worst of all, my body is getting that generally weak feeling that you get when you're sick. The feeling where you just ache, and not in the good exercising way. That kind of aching leaves me wanting more, and feeling motivated to go race wild horses or something stupid like that. This kind of ache makes me want to be promptly buried underneath every blanket I and my eight closest neighbors own and not come out until, well, ever. So if I come off more whiny or just sucky than usual, I beg your pardon, kind patrons of my blog.

In other news: Henna! Don't mind my awe inspiring legs that are an unnatural shade of white that would make factory workers for Elmer's glue avert their eyes in pain. I sketched a basis for what I wanted on a note pad and then handed it over to my artistically inclined friend, Nate. I was his first henna project, and I think it turned out pretty darn well. I'm not one to ever permanently ink my skin, but this is more like makeup, just a temporary decoration. I went big on it because I figure that it's winter and no one will see this part of my anatomy unless I want them to. Here's a link for anyone who is unfamiliar with henna.

And now for something that made me laugh today:


I've been thinking about why it could be that even though I am undeniably obese, and have been for most of my life, with a history of high blood pressure in my family, and yet I am really quite healthy. Particularly my heart health has surprised me. I think that the main reason is that I laugh a whole lot. They say that as people grow up they gradually laugh less and less frequently. I'm not sure that I laugh a whole lot less than your average kid. All of you who've spent more than 5 minutes talking with me know that.
  • Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
  • Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
  • Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
  • Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
I found those on this site. If you're at all curious, you should check it out. Really, people, if you don't laugh all that much right now, make a conscious effort to change that. You can start when you're alone. Force laughter when something is remotely funny. Let your mind run away with the humor of situations. I know that some of you don't believe it, but your life is hilarious! Think back on your day. When a lot of people do that, they have the tendency to sum up their day by the stressful situations they find themselves in. I do that, too. But, please, try not to. Think back on little things today. Dwell on the details. I promise you that everyday gives you plenty of opportunities to laugh. Be on the look out for them, and don't let a single one get past you.

1 comment:

  1. Blogger needs to add three buttons: 'Like', 'Love', and 'ROFL', if only to your pages and nobody else, they would be well used. :)

    ReplyDelete