3.16.2011

Day 73

Calories burned at the gym today: 324

Today was a good day. 

I thought that I was getting pulled over when a cop came in right behind me and turned on his lights, but then he went past as I pulled over. 

The rest of my day went much the same as that. Everything just worked out. Well, okay, if I'm being honest, my club wasn't excellent today. I was so excited about the fact that we were focusing on healthy eating today. I acquired a whole bunch of rubber food that looks realistic and is in the correct portion size, from the local 4-H. I also made sure we had a sampling of some healthy snacks for the kids to try. I had also made sure to have some food pyramid handouts. I just really hadn't thought about what to say and then I forgot to watch the clock. However, the kids all got to hold something tangible and get a basic idea of what their serving sizes should look like, and they all got some healthy snacks, so I guess it still worked out.

Today was also the science fair at the elementary school where I am employed. After finding out that a few of the kindergarteners were in it, my fellow kindergarten herder, Spencer, and I decided to check out their work. The ones I did see were fun, and there were several other exhibits set up by different scientific local groups. One of them had a bunch of amphibians and reptiles. I held some fat, slimy salamanders and touched a snake without flinching. Another one had little containers of two headed fish that I picked up and closely inspected. This is big for me, because I get the heebie-jeebies pretty easily. 

There was also a booth that had this experiment:





I found out that this awesome reaction occurs when the dish soap tries to separate the fat in the milk. Cool stuff.

Then I came to a table from one of the science departments at the university. This department had set up a bunch of different things that demonstrate different principles of electricity and other... stuff. I stopped to take a gander. As I was idly looking things over, I failed to notice that  I was being cornered. Suddenly, a voice right next to my ear said, "Are you liking the science fair?" After jumping back into my skin, I turned to find a college aged guy in a USU shirt approximately a centimeter from my face. I scooted away a bit as I responded that yes, I was indeed enjoying the science fair. Then he asked if I wanted to learn more about anything on the table. Looking back at the table, I realized that, despite the table being mobbed by children and their parents, I had the undivided attention of all three guys running this exhibit. We'll call the one who was all up in my business Guy A, the other two will be guys B and C. I immediately felt uncomfortable and wanted nothing more than to walk away. However, I didn't want to be rude, so I just pointed to something at random to have explained to me with the plan of escaping right after. I pointed at one of those electric shock producing machines that look like this:

http://www.wannalearn.com/Academic_Subjects/Science/Static_Ball.html

Guy A told me to touch it. It was now that I realized I should have picked just about anything else. There are few things on this earth that I hate more than being shocked. I just tried to laugh it off, light heartedly tell him that I didn't want to be shocked, and ask him how it works. Guy A again insisted that I touch it, then put his hand on my back and started pushing me towards it. This is when I sternly said, "No. Seriously. I do not want to be shocked." At this point he jumped over to the table and grabbed a much smaller version of the same thing. As he grabbed it the batteries popped out. It was now that Guy B, who was still observing with Guy C, chuckled as he told Guy A that he probably needed the batteries. This was the only time either B or C broke their silence. Guy A was shaking so badly as he fumbled to re-insert the fleeing batteries, that the ball on top fell right off. I really felt bad now and picked it up for him. With quaking hands, he gave the machine over to Guy C, who quickly and silently re-assembled the torture device, handed it back to Guy A, and then resumed staring. Guy A turned on the little static machine and then looked at me with eyes begging me to just touch it and go along with this. So I did. Three times. And I cannot communicate to you just how much I hated it. It was like grinding my own nails to dust on a chalkboard. But, the point is that I did it, because this poor boy was trying so hard and his buddies were watching ever so eagerly. I then smiled and politely excused myself so that they could get back to the masses of curious children. Somehow, I left with the feeling that those guys don't get out much, especially not to talk to females of any kind. The upside to this is that I now know just where to go if I am ever hard pressed for a date.

This is where the other kindergarten cop comes into play. I was still laughing as I left that awkward situation and found him to tell him about it. He brought up that at least it would provide great material for a blog post. Until that point I had no idea what I was going to post on tonight. So, if you enjoyed this post more than all of the videos and stuff that I put on here when I am out of ideas, you have Spencer to thank.

I would also like to mention that I am always open to ideas for blog posts from everyone. If you have something that you would like to see more of or less of or an idea for a post subject, I would love to hear them. I try my hardest on here, but there are days when I am just flat out of ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment