2.20.2011

Day 49

Still sick, but getting better.

We're not going to talk about my health, though, because I'm sure you guys are sick of all that jazz.

Today we're going to talk about my former life as a front desk clerk at the Anniversary Inn.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Anniversary Inn, it is a small chain of hotels that have themed rooms. As intriguing as that may sound, they stay away from the kinky.

http://inventorspot.com/articles/10_romantic_getaway_destinations
_most_unique_themed_hotels_aroun_37835?page=3


Not a room available at the Anniversary Inn

They tend more towards, fun, beautiful, romantic, and classy. 

http://www.anniversaryinn.com/logan/room/7-arabian-nights

My favorite room, Arabian Nights

Okay, well there are a few that are just bizarre.

http://www.anniversaryinn.com/logan/room/19-lost-in-space

The Lost in Space room. Always the last reserved.
Always reserved by crazies.

Overall, it is a pretty upscale hotel. The most expensive rooms go for $300 a night. With optional flowers and in room massages, I booked more than one reservation that went over $500 for a single night. It just happens to be a high end bed and breakfast that caters toward couples who are interested in, well, being very coupley.

When I first got this job, I was still 18 years old. I had a friend in my ward who worked there and said she could set me up with a job. I honestly just needed a job and didn't give much thought as to why every customer went there. Even after I got the job I didn't really think about it for awhile. After I did really think that aspect over, I just tried to ignore it. I was pretty dang good at ignoring the fact that everyone was going there to get busy. I just smiled and checked people in. When I had to deliver breakfast trays in the morning, I would just set the food on the tray, knock, and then haul butt out of there. However, there were times when I could not ignore it. There is one room that is directly above the front desk. Whenever guests checked into that room I would try to turn the music in the lobby up to the loudest comfortable level. If there was someone else working with me, I would try to keep a steady conversation going. On Sundays, I'd sing hymns. Really, I did just about anything to avoid hearing what was happening above my head.

There was one room with an old west theme that had a real moose's head mounted above a fireplace. It was directly facing the bed and there were a lot of times when guests would leave and we'd find the decorative cowboy hat or a blanket covering the moose's eyes. It always kind of freaked me out, too. Then one night I got a call to the front desk from that room. They said that they had accidentally knocked the moose off of the wall. I had no idea what to do, but they said that they wanted it out of the room, so I figured that I'd go and haul it into storage for the night. Now is when it is crucial that you understand that the Anniversary Inn of Logan is actually made up of several different renovated buildings in one big area. The moose room has its own building. As I headed out of the building with the lobby and came up the dark path to the moose room, I suddenly saw something staring at me in the bushes. After nearly wetting myself, I realized it was the moose! The guests had dragged it out of the room and put the dang thing in the bushes. So, I dragged the fat head into  storage and that was pretty much the end of my time with the moose.

My most humiliating moment at the Inn occurred on a different night. At the front desk we sold these bath fizzy things, called bath bombs or bath balls.

http://www.thelavenderpigblog.com/category/bath-fizzy/

They fizz up in the tub and make your skin feel soft and smell good. Anywho, one night there was a couple who bought a few bath bombs at check-in. They called the front desk awhile later raving about how much they loved them and asking me to bring them five more. I threw five of them into a bag and then made my way outside and over to their building. The man answered the door in one of our complimentary "one-size-fits-all" robes. The thing is, one size did not fit this guy. In fact it left him exposed in a rather extremely unfortunate area. Averting my gaze up at neck breaking speed, before I could really see anything, I extended the bag with the requested fizzies inside to the guest as I blurted out, "Here're your balls." He quickly started laughing as I realized what I had said and tried to mutter out something more appropriate before turning beet red, panicking, and running away, his laughter echoing behind me. Not my smoothest moment in customer service.

Still, all and all, I escaped rather unscathed. Most employees walk away with several "naked" and super awkward stories. I was employed there two separate times, for a total of over two years, and I only have a handful of awkward stories.

Of course, I would have plenty more stories if I weren't so willfully oblivious to the world around me. But, I believe that in this instance, ignorance truly is bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment