2.03.2011

Day 32




Calories burned at the gym today: 682
 Disclaimer: Today's theme song for me is Long Day by Matchbox 20. My yawning is increasing exponentially. I've been looking forward to writing this post for awhile, but now my life is so busy, so I'm not certain I'm about to do this justice. There is a very good chance I will be coming back to this one and making numerous edits and improvements after the original post. So.... consider yourself disclaimed.

I have always loved music. Always. I have also always loved to create music.

Exhibit A:








 Exhibit B:




As you can clearly see, I have a gift.

You can also clearly see from exhibit A that I have always been furious with my coordination for failing me. Exhibit B demonstrates my genius in song writing. It also shows that I was that special kindergartner. The one who said things like, "And O is for peaches, and O is for oranges." Because, I mean, they're similar substances, thus they start with the same letter, right? Oh, Sesame Street, how you failed me. Lastly, I've always tried to love, cuddle, and care for my brother, and he's always hated every second of it. He still cries like that when I try to sing him to sleep. "Go to sleep, go to sleeeep, goooo to sleep....."

I wish that I could say that I've gained much more skill in this area, but honestly, I have not. I took piano lessons for awhile and the teacher moved out of state after only a couple months. She said it was a personal decision, but I knew it had to be my atrocious "playing" on the piano that sparked her desire to live far, far away. Then I tried out for every solo all year in 8th grade choir. That amounted to nothing. By senior year of high school I had noticed a running trend and skipped musical auditions, opting for only the play.

Finally, I decided my place was really as one who appreciates others' skills.

But, obviously, the over riding message of all of this is that I really love music. I believe that there is music for every occasion and every emotion. There are also songs that trigger emotions and memories of occasions. Here is a very incomplete list of my songs for various situations. Feel free to look up songs you haven't heard of.


  • Theme song for the Hundred goal: Firework by Katy Perry "Do you know that there's still a chance for you, 'cause there's a spark in you. You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine. Baby, you're a firework, c'mon show 'em what you're worth."
  • Song for that awkward stage where you're each waiting for the other one to make the first move: I Want You To by Weezer


  • Song that instantly turns me into a soulful black woman: And I Am Telling You by Jennifer Hudson
  • Song guaranteed to make me try to hit a note higher than humanly possible: Take On Me by A-Ha (If you can't remember the note I'm referring to, look it up again and give it a shot.)
  • Best mellow song: Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers
  • Song that gets stuck in my head for weeks after white water rafting: Just Around the Riverbend from Pocahontas
  • Song for the average bad day: Wonderful World by James Morrison "Well, I know that it's a wonderful world, but I can't feel it right now."
  • Song that I never get sick of: Tiny Dancer by Elton John

  • Song for long goodbyes: Save Tonight by Eagle Eye Cherry
  • Song that would easily woo me for any guy. Easily: Out of My League by Stephen Speaks

  • Best song honoring women in general from guy's perspective: God Made Women by Keith Urban
  • My favorite emo song: Helena by My Chemical Romance
  • Song to have stuck in your head forever: Ruby by Kaiser Chiefs
  • Just plain happy song: Lemonade by Chris Rice "Life gave me lemonade and I can't imagine why... I live life without pretending. I'm a sucker for happy endings..."

  • Song that I was most surprised reminded anyone of me: You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi (I was just the one who introduced him to Bon Jovi, don't you worry.)
  • Best pirate song: The Seven Deadly Sins by Flogging Molly
  • Song that would easily woo me for any guy Part 2: She's Got A Way by Billy Joel
  • My favorite song to run to: My Hero by the Foo Fighters

  • Song guaranteed to make everyone gasp and exclaim, "I love this song! Who is it by?" Send Me On My Way by Rusted Root (Look it up. You've heard it.)
  • Song to remind me of my old life working in the kitchen in Jackson Hole: Everything is Alright by Motion City Soundtrack
  • Song for a bubble bath: Sunrise by Norah Jones
  • Song for a day made of awesome: Strawberry Swing by Coldplay

  • Sexiest song: Wicked Game by Chris Isaac
  • Song for feeling cynical about love: If Love Was a Plane by Brad Paisley (I laugh every dang time I listen to this one)
  • Rainy day song: Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson
  • Song that got me into country music: Beautiful Mess by Diamond Rio
  • Song to make my dad crank up the car stereo and sing along: Dream Weaver by Gary Wright
  • Song that grew on me and now makes me want to learn piano: More Than This (Campfire Take) by Vanessa Carlton

  • Song for feeling trapped in your life: Grey Street by Dave Matthews Band
  • Song to make me think of my senior year of high school: I Believe In A Thing Called Love by The Darkness (It was in our senior video. I didn't get nearly that much action in high school. Or now, for that matter.)
  • Song to get me through all my hard times for the last decade: The Middle by Jimmy Eat World "It just takes some time, little girl. You're in the middle of the ride. Everything, everything will be just fine."
  • Song for serenading my little brother occasionally: Forever Young by Rod Stewart 
  • Super rotten break up song: Best of You by Foo Fighters
  • Song that I want to sing to a guy who has wooed me: Swept Away by Mandy Moore
  • Song with a music video for when you're okay with laughing and then getting a little choked up: Waitin' On A Woman by Brad Paisley

  • Song that I would choose to be my theme song, if everyone had one that played when they walked into a room: No Rain by Blind Melon "All I can say is that my life is pretty plain. I like watchin' the puddles gather rain."

  • Song guaranteed to get me to crank up the car stereo and sing along: Africa by Toto "Hurry boy it's waiting there for you! It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you! There's nothin' that a hundred men or more could ever do!
  • Song that I love to run to Part 2: The Distance by Cake

Alright, well, there are a few of my favorites for various occasions. Comment with your own! 

Also, seriously guys, I'd appreciate it if you checked one of those little boxes down there to let me know what I should do more or less of on here. Help me refine this process a bit. Because right now I'm just throwing junk out there and hoping it sticks.

2 comments:

  1. I love your child videos, it was totally worth the extra time to put them on there. :) Also you have great taste in music! I will give you 5 of my favorite..which is hard because there are so many that I love. It's hard to narrow it down.
    1. Collide-Howie Day
    2. Then-Brad Paisley
    3. I'm Feeling Good-Michael Buble
    4. Something Like That-Tim Mcgraw
    5. Must Have Done Something Right-Relient K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsey, those are also great songs!! You're top two in particular are ones that I listen to all the time. Good taste in music.

    ReplyDelete