2.09.2011

Day 38

Calories burned at the gym today: 740

Before you read any further I'm going to ask you to take a second to visit Shelayna's blog here: http://shelblogs.blogspot.com/ Send her some big love. Or just drop by there and smile at her, or something. She was in a super rotten car wreck on the way to the gym this morning. She's okay, but her car is totaled. That makes for a super rotten day/ week/ however long it takes to get things back in order. Fortunately, the accident wasn't her fault, but ya. Rough day.

I was in a singing mood day today. I had to stop myself from singing several times because it was an inappropriate time. This means I am in a very good mood. I'm rocking some endorphins. I spent 50 minutes on the treadmill today. In that time I figured out that what used to seem like a brisk walking pace to me now seems like a gentle warm up. What used to qualify as running is now a jog. What I used to consider an unattainable speed is now a run that I can hold steady for a full minute after jogging for a half hour.

And it's only going to keep getting better. I look forward to the day when I can tell you that my current run time is my warm up speed.


I dug out my old favorite vest today. I used to wear this thing almost every day during the winters in high school. I tried it on today and discovered that it fits nearly as well as it did my senior year! So, of course, I took pictures.




I was trying to explain my camera to my mom, hence the face




As I look at the pictures, I know that it looks like I've lost a little weight, but definitely not in the neighborhood of 20 lbs. I am now looking forward to the day when it will be undeniable. My goal is for the kids I work with the start noticing, unprompted. They tend not to notice gradual changes, so it will have to be serious for them to mention it. As I was thinking about that goal at work today, I was looking around at the kids I work with, particularly the little girls. I sincerely think that every one of them are so beautiful. As I thought about them noticing me losing so much weight, I began about to wonder about the effect that seeing it would have on them. Even at their very young ages, they are already surrounded with messages about everyone needing to lose weight. The vast majority of these messages focus on the theory that the thinner you are, the more attractive you are. While this is arguably true to a certain extent, I don't believe any elementary aged girl should be the least bit concerned about that.

This is why I think the next club I'm in charge of will be focused on fitness, from the perspective it should be approached with young people. They should be focused on their health and all the awesome doors that being healthy opens for you. When the day comes that I start getting questions like, "Miss Stephanie, are you getting skinnier?"  I will do my best to emphasize that yes, I am getting skinnier, but most importantly, I am getting healthier. I don't want to be just another influence on these kids that makes them think that skinny = attractive. I want to be someone that makes them think that healthy = fun. Because it seriously does. I really am having more fun already. My singing mood is just the start of it.

2 comments:

  1. Those pants look amazing on you... I can definitely tell, just from your pictures. I think you look awesome. It's hard to send the right messages about health to young girls. Unfortunately, I think you can only do your best, but for the most part they have to realize it themselves, and that may mean that they go through something rough to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph you are so sweet!! Thanks for being such a great friend!!! you will hit your goal in no time! You Rock at Running! I can't wait til our 5K and all the things we will get to experience on the way!

    ReplyDelete