5.08.2011

Day 123

I started out today with a 3.5 mile run. It felt awesome, and was definitely not as difficult as the first 3.5 miles that I did.  That is a very good thing, because my standard running distance is going up to 4 next week.

The biggest thing that happened today was my best friend and closest partner in crime's commencement ceremony at USU. It was really just a formality, because she actually graduated last fall, but they only do one commencement per a school year, so she came back into town from Salt Lake to walk.

I had no idea what to get her in celebration of this event. While this is undoubtedly a huge accomplishment on her part, she has already been accepted to a masters program, so she's not actually done yet. I still wanted to get her a card, but none seemed to fit the bill. There are dozens of cards congratulating graduates and wishing them luck in their lives away from school. She's pretty much going to be doing the same thing. Then I happened upon the most unintentionally hilarious card I could have hoped for.

"College Grad
Wish
Imagine
Believe
Fly"

"Give wings to your dreams.
Happy Graduation
Happy Future!"
I included my own inscription of, "I sure hope your dreams are more useful than that penguin's wings."

I mean, seriously. Somebody thought up the idea for this card equating "flying" to following your dreams, and then decided to include an image of a flightless bird on it. Somebody else had to actually approve it. Truly, that is the most inspiring card that I have ever had the pleasure of laying eyes on. I knew that I had to give it to Tres.


A group of us attended the ceremony to cheer our hero in her moment of glory. I was pretty surprised by some members of the audience. Apparently, more than one person thought that air horns and cow bells would be a fine way to pay honor to their favorite grad. It added quite the classy ambiance to the entire event.

I'm very sorry, Tesha. This is the only shot I have.

After that, Tres went to spend some time with her family, ad the rest of us set off on several small adventures. I'd decided that I am having a free day for Mother's Day, (That way she can pick whatever she'd like for dinner, without having to worry about accommodating myself.) and  I started tonight with a full size chicken Caesar salad and a rootbeer float at Wendy's.

Deceptively far off of a healthy diet
It was delicious. Caesar salad is one of my top favorite foods, but the dressing and fried chicken are very high in fat and calories, so it is now a rare treat.

After dinner we decided to feed the ducks at First Dam. We didn't realize that it was mating season until we arrived at the park and witnessed what can only be described as the gang rape of a poor female duck. Then a group of adults watched as their young children threw a bunch of plastic cups into the water. Things started looking up, though, as I spotted two geese with three tiny gosling in tow. Slowly but surely, I used the bread to draw them across the water, towards us. Right as I had finally brought the little group to where our feet dangled above the water, the children noticed what I was up to. They began screaming and pointing at the "babies". We tried to be kind as we hushed them and explained that they would scare the geese away by screaming. They continued on being noisy and all of the sudden there was a large splash, and an abrupt silence from the children. One of them had thrown a basketball at the geese, which had fled for safety at the other side of the pond. If I'm being completely honest, it was with a small bit of glee that I watched that ball drift irretrievably further from them. We left the park to the sounds of their desperate pleas for the adults to wade out in the muck and get the ball.

Then we went up to the nature trail along Logan River in the canyon, and went on a short walk.


The raging runoff

After the hike we met back up with Tressa and played some Dance Revolution. 

It has been a magnificently full day.

1 comment:

  1. I've placed that card in my living room for all to see... I giggle every time I walk past it :) I love your guts. And you.

    ReplyDelete