4.09.2011

Day 94

Calories burned at the gym today: 789

That's right, folks, I was up and moving today!

I went to the gym and put in an honest workout and then came home and spent a few hours cleaning.

I also have decided that I'm going to do the the Legacy Midnight Run.


I am going all in for this one. My goal is to complete the half marathon. Taking a gander at the rules, I see that they sweep the course at 1:00 am, which gives me three hours to complete 13 miles.  According to my math, this means that I will need to average 4.3 mph to complete it before they call in the authorities to drag me off of the course.

Oh, it is so on.

Some of you might be saying, "That's all fine and good, Steph, but what on earth is going on in that mind of yours? Lately, if you've posted at all, they've been lackluster and half-hearted. Also, excuse me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't this only your second trip to the gym this week? Now you're proclaiming that you're going to run a half-marathon. What up, fool child?"

Well, you are correct, blunt friend. Recently, I had started to lose my motivation. I'm still not certain what all of the contributing factors for this were, but one of them was something happening in my personal life that was really bothering me. This past week it went from being a source of anxiety, to outright depressing me. I stewed over it and I would not let it go. I viewed myself as the victim, and saw no possible way for this to have a happy ending.

Then, yesterday evening, things started to change.

I went out with some friends and we were doing some really fun things, but I just wasn't feeling into it. Then, while lacing up my bowling shoes, I had an epiphany. I was the one letting this get me down. Something that I've told the kids that I work with on several occasions popped into my head: "You can't always control what happens to you, or what someone else does to you, but you can always control how you react."

I turned to the good friend next to me, who is familiar with the situation, and told her right then, "You know what? I've decided not to care."

Immediately, my night began to improve. We were still doing the same activities, with the same group, but my outlook had changed.

Since I was traveling last weekend and missed General Conference, I put it onto my iPod and have been listening to it as I've gone about my day. I've gained so much from this conference, but one thing really stuck out to me as applicable to the decision I made last night. In Elder Boyd K. Packer's talk, "Guided By the Holy Spirit", he said:

"If you are carrying some burden, forget it, let it alone. Do a lot of forgiving and a little repenting, and you will be visited by the Spirit of the Holy Ghost and confirmed by the testimony that you did not know existed."
These words literally stopped me in my tracks.

So, I'm letting it alone. I feel happier and freer already. I'm now focusing my optimistic attention on things that I can change in my life for the better.

The snow will melt.

I will begin training.

I will complete a half marathon 3 months from now.

My life isn't nearly as bad as I tell myself it is sometimes, and it's going to get even better.

1 comment:

  1. Go Steph go! I did a half last summer with my sisters and it was so much fun. Did it kick my butt? You bet ya, but I felt like I had achieved something awesome since I had never run over 5 consecutive miles in my life before training for it. Good luck and don't back down!

    ReplyDelete