4.19.2011

Day 105

I just finished my first 4 mile run.

It took me just over 50 minutes, but I made it.

I was kind of nervous about this one, because I've been having problems with blisters and side-stitches. Fortunately, I found suggestions for both of them.

As usual, when I need expert advice, I turned to Youtube. I found some videos that recommended standing up straight and breathing into your stomach during distance running. During my run today, there were a few times when my side began to ache. When that happened, I just straightened my shoulders and took deep breaths into my gut. Within a minute or so, the ache would always go away.

As for my blisters, my friend Kelley left a comment on a previous post where he told me, "Try duct tape on your feet where you get blisters...Don't call me crazy, just try it(obviously, let the blister heal first). It's cheaper than mole skin and works the same."


Despite his request, I did think he was a few fries short of a Happy Meal. Duct tape my feet? Surely, he said this in jest. However, I was desperate for a solution. Today, my feet were finally blister-free. Feeling like a fool, I ripped off a couple pieces of duct tape and slapped them onto my arches before my run. 


It worked.


This is the part where I offer Kelley my humble apology for thinking that the stress of his impending fatherhood had pushed his brain past it's limit. You and Vikki can expect brownies or something soon, because that suggestion is going to make a huge difference in the long run (Pun intended). I'm thinking that I will be investing in some fancier duct tape, though. Somehow, the silver just looks industrial and ghetto. 


Decisions, decisions...

1 comment: