6.03.2011

Day 151

Well, it's official.

I am taking an indefinite break from running.

I made the decision after I was walking around like an 80 year old with arthritic knees all day today. Now that the day is drawing to a close, I went to change out of my pants and noticed bruising around both of my kneecaps, and I haven't banged them against anything today or yesterday. Unfortunately, that means that I likely have done some kind of internal damage to my knees. That's not something I want to screw around with. So, starting tomorrow I'm back to putting a heavy emphasis on a healthy diet, and low impact exercises, with the goal of rehabilitating my knees and running again in the future.

This is not an easy decision for me to make. It's extremely difficult to actually type this, because this means that it's real, and I have worked hard to get where I am now. I've put all that I've got into it, and all the while I was dreaming of a bright, shining future, where I was the healthy runner of many marathons. I want it, and I want it bad. But, this body is mine for life. It's not worth getting skinny if it cripples me. The point of all of this was to increase the quality of my life.

I'd make one hot invalid, though. I'm just gonna throw that out there.

 However, I'd rather not go there.

So, I still have that dream of running a marathon. But, for right now it is on the back burner.

That being said, my dream of losing a hundred pounds, becoming healthier, and living a fantastic life, is still very much alive and completely attainable. In fact, it is already about halfway attained.

No more tears here. No more woe is me.

My life is still better than it was on January 3rd. That means I'm winning. Not Charlie Sheen "winning", I'm talking legit winning.

This is just an opportunity to find a different physical activity to excel at.

In other news, I helped Vikki and Kelley move into their beautiful new home today!


The view from their yard

Just in time, too! Baby Elena is ready to make her way into the world any day now. I, for one, am very excited to meet her.


1 comment:

  1. OH man I'm sorry about your knees! I think you made the right decision. There are definitely other activities you can do, you may not get the same cardio work out, but you'll be improving other parts of your body which are just as important. You can try riding a bike... you still get a pretty good cardio work out, and much less impact on your knees.. just a thought. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete