11.21.2012

Random Acts of Kindness for Joseph

I am super excited about this post.

Joseph's due date is coming up next Thursday, the 29th. This is a date that I've been trying to ignore, but which keeps creeping into my thoughts. I've been feeling very apprehensive about it. Ben and I are going to go to a Brian Regan show in our town two days later to cheer us up, but the day itself is one that I've been dreading. I had no idea what to do with it. My basic plan was just to put my helmet on and brace for emotional impact.

Then someone recommended that Ben take the day off and we do something in honor of Joseph that day and just spend it together. As I tried to decide what we could do, nothing really clicked.

Then it dawned on me: Service!

Specifically, I started thinking about the small acts of service my son, Joseph, would have done throughout his life on earth. I decided that we are going to spend this one day dedicated to doing random acts of kindness in Joseph's memory.

Here's where YOU, Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs. Blog Reader come in.

I would like to invite you to join us. You don't have to dedicate your entire day to it, but if on Thursday, November 29th you could keep Joseph in your thoughts and look for some way to serve others as you go about your day, in honor of Joseph, it would mean so much to us. Then, if you could either post on here, or on Facebook or send me a private message containing what you did, I will compile all of it together for our own safe keeping in Joseph's memory box.

My reason for this is really quite simple. Every parent wants their child's life to have purpose and meaning and to be a positive force for good in the world. Ben and I have the same wishes for Joseph. This is the closest I can come right now to hugging my son and the best way I can think of telling him how proud I am to be his mom.

As I said, your act/s of kindness can be as big or small as you please. Some ideas we've had to get you started thinking are:

  • Tape quarters to a vending machine or parking meter with a note for people to take them if they need them
  • Scatter spare change around a local playground 
  • Slow down to let that person merge into your lane
  • Help someone load their groceries into their car and then take the cart back into the store
  • Go visit a widow
  • Bake something to take over to those neighbors you don't know and then take a few minutes to get to know them
  • Call your mom
  • Buy a gift card for a store and then turn around and give it to the next person in line
  • Go through a drive-thru and pay for the meal of the person behind you
The possibilities are endless! Just keep your eyes open throughout the day and opportunities will pop up. 

Thank you in advance. This idea is one that has brought me not only comfort but real happiness. If I could just ask one more favor of you, please share this idea with others. I want to see how many people I can get involved. Feel free to pin this or share it on Facebook.

Thank you guys for your love and support through all of this.

So many of you are angels in my life.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Ben and Steph

and


5 comments:

  1. I'm in! FYI, the 29th is my nieces birthday. it's a super special day for only super special people. i have another friend who had the same due date this year, but instead, she had one of those rare pregnancies that turns into a tumor. super scary. This year has been so rough so for many people with kids. It's just crazy that you two were both due on the same day. I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph!!!

    I feel so bad, I just read all your blog. I haven't kept up with you and Ben since you got married and didn't realize all you guys have been through. Wow! You are a strong woman and one I respect very much. I hope you guys know we love you and we are thinking about you at this time!

    Jhonattan and Rachaal Castillo

    ReplyDelete
  3. so this may not seem like a big deal but it was for me and it is kind of my random act though . . . anyway. There's this girl at work who is having an interesting situation, so she's leaving. They threw her a party, and I wasn't going to go because I was tired and sore and blah blah blah, but I thought about your son, and I thought about what you would do, and I ended up going so that I could try to show support for her in this situation. Thanks for the opportunity to go outside my comfort zone and think about another person. We love you Steph, Ben, and Joseph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ben and Steph!

    What a great opportunity. I will be performing service in the temple tomorrow for others like Joseph who are beyond the veil. I will be thinking of you and little Joseph.

    I love you guys!
    Bishop Wigington

    ReplyDelete