11.18.2012

Beautiful Heartbreaks and New Beginnings

Today is the 5 month anniversary of when we held our son for the only time in this life. His due date is next week.
It has been long and difficult and there were times that were so dark.

But I think I'm finally beginning to see light again.

Ben called me up on his lunch break the other day, like he always does, and after just a few seconds he started laughing. When I asked why he said, "You just sound like you. Your voice sounds like you do when there's nothing wrong."

My squinty smile has returned.

I'm not quite there, but I'm almost "me" again.

I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that these last 5 months have been very rough. I was a different woman. I didn't laugh at things that would have cracked me up before. I was super irritable. I had no desire to be social. I even stopped cleaning our home.

Finally, I recognized that I needed help.

There's a stigma around seeking help that shouldn't be there. I know the scriptures say, "Be thou perfect", but no where does it say, "Become perfect completely of your own accord and don't you dare admit that you might have some issues that are too big for you to tackle by yourself. Thou shalt man up and shut up."

So, I'm going to do the unthinkable
.
I'm going to admit that I went to therapy.

I know, I know, try not to avert your eyes from the unashamed crazy chick here.

I went to LDS Family Services and they paired me up with a therapist who helped me understand that I was experiencing what is known as "complicated grief", which is not a permanent condition, but it can lead to much more serious things. She respected my desire to avoid "happy pills" at all costs. She gives me advice on things to do to work through my feelings regarding losing Joseph. Best of all, it helps me feel like I am actively doing something to fight the darkness that wants to take me down.

And you know what?
It's working.
I'm gaining new perspective.

I'm still me, only better than I ever was. It's after we climb the steepest mountains that we are the strongest people.

I can honestly say that right now, this minute my life is really beautiful.

I hope you'll watch the video at the end of this post and recognize the strength that you've gained from your mountains. Maybe you're climbing your steepest mountain right now. If that's the case, keep climbing. Keep praying. Keep loving.
And ask for help.
Ask Heavenly Father.
Ask your friends. (My best friend/husband has been by my side constantly)
Ask anyone you need to.

Because, why on earth would you try to climb Mount Everest without anyone to help along the way?


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Stephanie! I think I experienced clinical depression this past summer and I have to say that it was a very dark & scary time in life. I knew something was wrong and realized that I needed help. I went to my good bishop and he counseled me to write down every day how I've seen the Lord's hand in my life. It took a while, but I'm now the happiest I've been in a long time. It's amazing how focusing on the good in your life & using the enabling power of the atonement daily, can change you. There is no shame in asking for help; I wish I had realized that sooner. :) You're a strong woman, Steph! Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up with a psychologist for a father, I am a huge advocate for counseling. If your leg is broken, you go to a doctor, right? So why not when your heart or mind needs healing? I am so proud of you for taking that step Stephanie and asking for help - that takes more strength than most people can muster. I hope the road continues to improve for you. P.S. You look so beautiful in that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I am very sorry to hear this, however, it is nice that you are finding that oh so elusive silver lining. Good day.

    ReplyDelete